Saturday, January 12, 2013

Is it worth it?

Looking back at the calendar I realized that I've been sick pretty much non-stop since the end of November.    I am sick and tired of being sick and tired!

As part of my chronological Bible reading plan,  I've been in the book of Job.  I've read it in King James, NIV, ESV, and now in the Message.  At first I thought it was the snot clogging up my brain but I quickly realized,  no matter the version I've been reading, I've never completely understood all Job and his friends are talking about.  Even in the message version, which doesn't have a thee or a thou in any of it's writing, I am still confused.  Fortunately, what I've always taken away from reading Job, is that all he was blessed with on earth was taken from him and he never cursed God for it.  Job knew where his heart's desire should be and that is where he kept his focus. He knew it would be worth it.

I haven't cursed God, but I sure have asked him, begged him actually, to take these illnesses away from me.  I'm not fighting for my life, just for my comfort, yet I complain.  I want back my comfy, non-sniffing, non-snotty world!

Christ left the comforts of heaven to be a dirty, hungry, stinky human.  Tradition says that he was likely a carpenter with his father.  I'm guessing he got splinters, hit his thumb once or twice with a hammer, stepped on a nail, dealt with a few of the things that come along with the trade.  Thank God he didn't throw in the towel and say, "That's it, I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired!"  Instead he knowingly went through being betrayed by a friend, a beating, a crown of thorns, and death by crucifixion.  When He rose again and defeated death, He did that because we are his heart's desire and that is where he kept his focus.  He knew it would be worth it.

I'm pretty sure I caught this last cold from my grand daughter.  She is amazing and when she sees me she gets a huge grin on her face and laughs or waves.  She actually recognizes me and is excited to see me.  Melts my heart every time.  When I saw her the other night, the symptoms of her cold were prominent and it was obvious that she was uncomfortable.  When my boys were young and would get sick, it made my heart ache to see them struggle.  To see my grand child ill; ten times worse than my own child.

For as much as my heart ached the other night for my grand daughter to feel better, it aches even worse for her future.  She is going to face so many difficulties in life.  Just as fast as our world becomes "smarter" it seems to become darker, more twisted, and more sinful.  I can't stop her from getting a cold.  I can't stop her from facing the craziness of this world.  I certainly can't protect her the way I'd like...I've been told bubble wrap and a guard dog are out of the question...

The only way she will make it is if Christ is her heart's desire and that is where she keeps her eyes.  She needs to know He is worth it.

And, it's not just my grand daughter. This world is lost.  I can't be sick and tired and expect someone else to fix it.   So, I am praying that God would show me what to do next.  I know my heart's desire is Christ.  I am going to keep my eyes on Him.  And I am going to be intentional in how I share that desire with my grand daughter and the world.   I have the feeling it's going to take me way outside of my comfort zone but I have faith that YES! it will be worth it!

Praying:
 - for direction on how to be most effective for Christ in my community, with my friends, and with my family
 - for my kids and their new marriages as I, PRAISE GOD, celebrate my 23rd anniversary today!
 - for a friend who is balancing caring for his grown child with health issues while he faces his own health issues
 - for a friend who is facing challenging times as a mom, that God would bless her decisions and give her words to encourage and guide her children
 - for friends who are dating, that God would guide their relationships
 - for a friend who is dealing with a laundry list of random and seemingly unrelated but annoying health issues
 - for the start of the James Bible study on Monday evenings and our fearless leader

Praise:
 - for all kinds of answered prayers this week! Big and small, He hears them all!
 - for an encouraging work week, meetings, and positive conversations

No comments:

Post a Comment